Brief History of SU Estonia
The SU work in Estonia was established in 1992 as the result of the initiative of Danilo Gay from SU Switzerland. His vision led him to Estonia to investigate the local possibilities and create contacs with different churches. Supported by Lutheran, Baptist and Methodist denominations the Board was formed, volunteers found and first introductory Bible Reading (BR) seminar was held.
SU Estonia was registered under the name of Avatud Piibli Ühing in 1994, but the first BR calendar was published already in1993 and first BR notes came out in 1994. Since 1995 daily BR notes have been radio broadcasted, reaching more than 20 000 people. After the collapse of communist rule the need for Christian publications was immense, especially for materials aiming the needs of young people and Sunday schools. Therefore the SU Estonia partnered from the very beginning with the Estonian Bible Society and Christian Publishing House “Logos”.
Although the work of SU Estonia started with an emphasis on publishing, the next goal was set to reach schools to meet young people directly. The real breakthrough in that outreach came in 2007, when the HIV prevention and life skills programs VRV/SEOS were introduced in schools.
- SU Estonia publications and online materials are violet-marked.
- Direct fieldwork with different age groups is yellow-marked. Later it became a separate branch - The Bible Reading Camps.
- Broadcasting the BR notes and marriage/family programs since 1995 is dark pink- marked.
- HIV prevention and lifeskills program in schools, now separate NGO SEOS, is dark red-marked.
- Vision, purchase and development of Wild Rose Village is green-marked.
*diverted arrows symbolize the establishment of an independent branch/NGO
SU Estonia Timeline: